The Bonner Center and Project Community held its Community Service Institute on Saturday September 24th. The CSI is a way for us to dig deeper into the issues connected to our service and the community. Between 50 -60 students, faculty and staff participated in lively, informative and inspiring discussions, workshops and panels.
- Poverty in America: Why Can’t We Pull Ourselves Up By the Boot Straps?
- A Silenced Reality: Domestic Violence in the lives of Undocumented Citizens)
- Fighting Ableism: An Intro to Creating Collective Access
John St. Louis
- What are you Buying into: Culture of Consumerism & Capitalism
Alyzza May and Cherrell Brown
Keynote Speaker Amy Lytle ‘96
- Black Biblical Interpretation, Sexual Oppression, Sexuality and HIV/AIDS
- You are What you Eat: Food Insecurity & Health Issues)
Kat Saladi, Tinece Holman, Chesapeake First
- Getting messy with Art Education!
- Panel Discussion: Prison to School pipeline: Is it real?
The disturbing phenomenon called the school-to-prison pipelineis the collection of education and public safety policies and practices
that push our nation’s schoolchildren out of the classroom and into the streets, the
juvenile justice system, or the criminal justice system.
Barabara Lawrence, Katie Yow ’08, Sherry Giles, and Jay Evans ‘06
Facilitator: James Shields
- Closing Thoughts:
- Justin Bradley- Unity Hoops